Although it’s only September, country music’s queen, Carrie Underwood put us in the holiday spirit today (September 24) with the release of the deluxe version of her Christmas album, My Gift. Check out our full review and listen to the brand new music below.
Underwood has proved she is a superstar in any genre, recording number-one songs and albums in country, pop, Christian, and holiday. My Gift debuted #1 across multiple global charts and remained at #1 on the Christian album chart 11 weeks after it was released. It consistently remained in the Top 5 throughout the 2020 holiday season, and even hit #5 on the all-genre Billboard Top 200. She plans on continuing this success with the release of this special edition project.
The new version adds “Favorite Time of Year”, which was actually released last year, but only available to Amazon Music subscribers. Underwood performed it during her HBO Max holiday special last holiday season. It’s a fun, up-tempo jingle in which she expresses why Christmas is her favorite time of the year. She loves the decorations, the snow, holidays movies, cinnamon and sugar cookies, and of course, the wishes that turned into presents under the tree.
“Love pouring out like the snow from the sky // Snuggled up together sitting by the fire // Oh, it’s magical, it’s my favorite time // Pretty little wishes tied up in a bow // And every little kiss is like we’re underneath the mistletoe // It’s music to my ears // Christmas is my favorite time of year”
Another new track, “All Is Well” is a brand-new gospel song written by Michael W. Smith and Wayne Kirkpatrick. Although there is only three verses total, the song is almost 4 minutes long, as Underwood lets her voice shine, extending notes beautifully.
The album concludes with the live recordings of “Let There Be Peace” and “Something In The Water.”
Between Christmas albums, Underwood released her debut gospel album, My Savior in March, which went to number one on the Christian Albums chart. It’s now been over three years since she released her last country album, Cry Pretty, which came out on September 14, 2018. She has released singles with Jason Aldean and Dan + Shay, however—“If I Didn’t Love You” and “Only Us” for the new movie, Dear Evan Hansen, respectively.
My Gift (Special Edition) Tracklist
- Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee (Traditional)
- O Come All Ye Faithful (Traditional)
- Let There Be Peace (Carrie Underwood, Brett James, David Garcia)
- Little Drummer Boy (featuring Isaiah Fisher) (Harry Simeone, Henry Onorati, Katherine Davis)
- Sweet Baby Jesus (Carrie Underwood, Brett James, David Garcia)
- Hallelujah (with John Legend) (John Stephens, Toby Gad)
- O Holy Night (Traditional)
- Mary, Did You Know? (Buddy Greene, Mark Lowry)
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (Ralph Blane, Hugh Martin)
- Away In A Manger (Traditional)
- Silent Night (Traditional)
- Favorite Time Of Year (Carrie Underwood, Hillary Lindsey, Chris DeStefano)
- All Is Well (Michael W. Smith, Wayne Kirkpatrick)
- Let There Be Peace/Something In The Water (LIVE From HBO Max’s MY GIFT: A Christmas Special From Carrie Underwood) (Carrie Underwood, Brett James, David Garcia, Chris DeStefano)
Fans can join our Weekly Round-Up e-newsletter here, for the latest in country music and more news about future Carrie Underwood releases.
My Gift (Special Edition), is available everywhere you buy or stream music. Take a listen below and check out more new recently released music here on our ‘New Country Music’ playlist. Be sure to give the playlist a follow for your weekly new country music fix.