Here at New York Country Swag, we pride ourselves on being tastemakers, finding and championing new and up-and-coming artists and introducing our followers to the best of the best of the rising acts. Back in 2019, we named the 10 artists below in our “Artists to Watch in 2019” and we are proud to say, we know rising talent before they make it big. Check out what each of these artists has done over the past year and what is coming up for them in 2020.
10. Austin Burke– Singer-songwriter Austin Burke continues to mesmerize fans with his uniquely crafted songs like “Whole Lot in Love” and “Slower.” This past year, the singer received accolades for his millions of streams on Spotify, as well as, made his Grand Ole Opry debut back in March. Additionally, Burke has been a regular on the festival circuit, playing major festivals such as Country Lakeshake and Faster Horses Festival. Most recently, he released his newest song “Love You Most,” with more music promised heading into 2020.
9. Abby Anderson– Sassy and talented rising artist, Abby Anderson grew her fan base this year, opening up for Rob Thomas and formally, Brett Eldredge and Devin Dawson. The Texas native released three songs this year including her fiery track “Good Lord,” her single “Flowers,” and a cover of A Star Is Born’s “Shallow” with fellow Artist to Watch, Jimmie Allen. Back in July, we hosted a Swag Session with the spunky singer-songwriter, reminding us exactly why she is one of our favorite rising artists.
8. Riley Green– Fans have flocked to Riley Green this year. His traditional country twang mixed with contemporary sound has resonated with fans across the nation. This year, Green opened up for Braid Paisley and Chris Lane and is slated to take the opening spot yet again on Jason Aldean’s ‘We Back’ Tour for 2020. If that’s not enough, the singer-songwriter released his debut record this fall, Different ‘Round Here, which featured his number one single, “There Was This Girl” and thirteen other killer tracks. Additionally, this year, Green embarked on his first headlining tour, which makes a stop at New York City’s Gramercy Theatre tonight! This Swag Session alum is going places, and we cannot wait to see what he has in store for us heading into 2020!
7. Brandon Ratcliff– Brandon Ratcliff is another rising artist that we believe is primed for success. The Monument Records signee is both poised and talented beyond his years. In 2019, the singer-songwriter followed up his debut song “Rules of Breaking Up,” with two new releases, “Number in My Phone” and “Slow Down Hometown.” Our team got to hear the songs live, back in March, during an intimate performance in New York City, and we are sure that 2020 will be an even more exciting year for him. To learn more about the Ratcliff, check out our Swag Spotlight here.
6. Seaforth– The new Australian duo, comprised of Mitch Thompson and Tom Jordan are making waves on the American airwaves. This year they have released their first EP Love That, which contained four songs, including their debut singles “Love That and “Talk to Me.” In addition, the duo has teamed up with singer-songwriter Mitchell Tenpenny in their chart-climbing song “Anything She Says.” Tenpenny and Seaforth are currently on tour together. New Yorkers will be in for a real treat this Sunday when the tour finally makes it’s way to New York City! To learn more about Seaforth, check out our Swag Spotlight feature.
5. Kassi Ashton– Kassi Ashton is one of those artists that is making radio pay attention and one of UMG Nashville’s most promising new artists. She made our list for her fearlessness, grit, and soulful vocals, but she is proving her staying power with her 2019 released singles “Violins,” “Field Party,” and “Pretty Shiny Things.” Most recently, Ashton opened up for Maren Morris on her sold-out headlining tour, where our team was able to witness her magic up close and personal!
4. Teddy Robb– It is obvious that here at New York Country Swag, we love Teddy Robb! The singer-songwriter recently played at our NYCS Country Brunch ’19 and even stopped to chat with us in a Swag Session before he made his Today Show debut! There has been a lot of much-deserved attention around Robb lately, and we cannot wait to see how his newest songs, “Really Shouldn’t Drink Around You” and “Tell Me How” continue to resonate with fans.
3. Filmore- This year, Filmore opened up for one of our favorites, Walker Hayes, during his headlining tour. The singer’s unique talent draws fans across genres, as his undeniable swagger and creative songwriting lends itself well to music fans as a whole. He recently released a feel-good summer song “Livin Easy” and a nostalgic tune called “London.” Additionally, Filmore made his national television debut on TODAY and will take the opening spot on Lauren Alaina’s headlining tour, beginning this January.
2. Tenille Townes– Tenille Townes has had quite the year! She is truly the full package, shining on both emotional songs and upbeat tracks. She opened up for none other than Dierks Bentley this summer, where our team got to catch her set at Northwell Jones Beach Amphitheater. The songstress continued to promote her music all year, even making her TODAY Show debut back in July. For more on Townes, check out or Swag Spotlight here. She is already a star in Canada, and it’s only a matter of time before Nashville catches on!
1. Mitchell Tenpenny– Last, but certainly not least, Mitchell Tenpenny has had arguably the biggest year out of all the artists on this list. Between being a staple at festivals all season long, opening for Old Dominion on their headlining tour, and finally headlining his own tour alongside Seaforth, Tenpenny shows no signs of slowing down. On top of that, his newest song “Anything She Says” will go to country radio very soon, and we suspect that it will be another hit for the singer! We will always be true fans of Tenpenny and his talent, and will never forget our Swag Session in the middle of Time’s Square that took place just two years ago!
Be on the lookout in the coming weeks for our carefully-cultivated 2020 Artists to Watch list! In the meantime, don’t forget to take a look back at what our 2018 and 2017 artists to watch have been up to.
The Hero Collection by NYCountry Swag is inspired by the men and women of the Fire, Police and Military Departments across the country. A portion of sales from each purchase is donated to different foundations that support our heroes. We are dedicated to honoring their service and remembering their sacrifice.
Thank You for supporting Country Music in NYC & Beyond!
Subscribe to our Weekly Round-Up here
for ticket giveaways, meet & greet contests, upcoming events,
and all things country music in the New York metro area and beyond!