Lady A: ‘What a Song Can Do’ – Album Review
Lady A’s new album, What A Song Can Do is out now, October 22nd on all streaming platforms. Featuring fourteen tracks co-written by the band, the project includes “Like a Lady,” “Talk of This Town,” and “Friends Don’t Let Friends,” with Thomas Rhett, Carly Pearce, and Darius Rucker. Listen to the new music and read our full review below.
Back in June, Lady A released its What A Song Can Do (Chapter One) EP, composed of seven of the trio’s strongest songs to date. Today, October 22, the consistent hitmakers released the full album of the same name, featuring those initial tracks in addition to seven more.
All but one of the album’s fourteen songs are co-written by at least one member of the band, along with the likes of Ryan Hurd, Thomas Rhett, Natalie Hemby, Ashley Gorley, and Dave Barnes. That personal touch is evident here, with Charles Kelley, Hillary Scott, and Dave Haywood each turning in standout performances.
The first half of the album is highlighted by the high-energy “Like a Lady,” the introspective “Worship What I Hate” and “What A Song Can Do,” and the sentimental “Things He Handed Down.” These are all themes that continue into the album’s second half.
The high energy continues on “You Keep Thinking That” and “Friends Don’t Let Friends.” The former is an R&B-infused, Scott-led track, inviting an ex to keep thinking that she isn’t able to move on. “I hate to break it to ya // That I’ve been seeing someone new,” She coos, her voice tinted with revenge. “And he ain’t anything like you.”
Meanwhile, on “Friends Don’t Let Friends,” Lady A trade verses with famous friends including co-writer Thomas Rhett, Carly Pearce, and Darius Rucker. The bluesy, radio-ready track is an ode to making bad decisions with your friends, the supergroup singing, “Friends don’t let friends // Drink alone.”
On “Where Would I Be” and “In Waves” show the more introspective side of Lady A. On the latter, they deal with a breakup, admitting that the healing is something that happens in waves and stages. “Where Would I Be” they find themselves wondering where they’d be in life had they not made tiny choices. “Where would I be // If I hadn’t spent that summer // Waiting tables in my hometown?” Scott asks, “Oh, where, where would I be? // If I hadn’t spilled your drink // And you never asked me out.” They continue wondering, “God only knows // If you never found me // Where would I be?”
“Workin’ On This Love” is a rare-Haywood led track, the sensitive singer-songwriter’s voice, accompanied but not overshadowed by harmonies from his bandmates. Co-written solely by the mega-talented and often-forgotten Haywood, the track celebrates love in its purest form. “Baby I believe // We’re framing history // I wanna roll my sleeves up every day,” He sings. “Get to workin’ on this love we’ve made.”
The sparse, piano-driven “Swore I Was Leaving” closes the album, and it’s truly Lady A at its finest, trading beautiful harmonies over a relatively simple country ballad. Here, their voices soar and the lyrics shine, as Kelley and Scott lament over a relationship that just can’t end. “We both know what’s coming at the end of the night,” They admit over a sultry guitar riff. “I swore I was leaving // But with us // It’s never goodbye.”
Produced by Dan Haff, What a Song Can Do shows Lady A at its very best. “We’ve rediscovered our purpose, and it’s to entertain and spread a positive message –I really truly believe that,” Kelley revealed in a statement. “I want our legacy to be songs that make people feel good. …But I also think there’s more to our story that hasn’t been written yet.”
Scott agrees, sharing “We are all living in the now together…we’re all a work in progress, and that is what we wanted to share with these songs.”
That work in progress is evident here, as the album focuses heavily on songs with powerful lyrics and beautiful harmonies. If you’re wondering what a song can do, just take a listen to this LP.
What a Song Can Do Track List:
- “Talk Of This Town” | Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, Hillary Scott, Nicolle Galyon, Jordan Reynolds
- “What A Song Can Do” | Charles Kelley, Sam Ellis, Ryan Hurd, Laura Veltz
- “Like A Lady” | Hillary Scott, Dave Barnes, Michelle Buzz, Martin Johnson, Brandon Paddock
- “Things He Handed Down” | Charles Kelley, Julian Bunetta, Jesse Frasure, Thomas Rhett
- “Fire” | Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, Hillary Scott, Justin Ebach
- “Chance Of Rain” | Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, Topher Brown, Justin Ebach
- “Worship What I Hate” | Dave Haywood, Hillary Scott, Natalie Hemby, Amy Wadge
- “Where Would I Be” | David Garcia, Natalie Hemby, Jordan Terry Minton
- “Friends Don’t Let Friends” (featuring Carly Pearce, Thomas Rhett, Darius Rucker) | Charles Kelley, Julian Bunetta, Ashley Gorley, Thomas Rhett
- “In Waves” | Charles Kelley, Joey Hendricks, Alysa Vanderheym, Michael Whitworth
- “You Keep Thinking That” | Charles Kelley, Dave Cohen, Chris Gelbuda, Steven Lee Olsen
- “Be That For You” | Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, Corey Crowder
- “Workin’ On This Love” | Dave Haywood
- “Swore I Was Leaving” | Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, Hillary Scott, Jordan Reynolds, Parker Welling
- “Friends Don’t Let Friends” with Carly Pearce, Thomas Rhett & Darius Rucker
- “Swore I Was Leaving”
- “Where Would I Be”
- “Talk of This Town”
Fans can join our Weekly Round-Up e-newsletter here, for the latest in country music and more news about upcoming Lady A announcements and releases.
To keep up with Lady A, follow them on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
What a Song Can Do is available everywhere you buy or stream music. Take a listen below and check out more new recently released tunes on our ‘New Country Music’ playlist. Be sure to give the playlist a follow for your weekly new country music fix.