As 2019 comes to a close, the decade challenge is all the rage throughout social media. Superstars and rising artists alike are taking to Instagram to show pictures of how much has changed or stayed the same over the past ten years. We thought it would be fun to switch it up and to take a look back on some of our favorite country artists’ careers over the past 10 years, as our own ‘decade challenge.’
1. Carrie Underwood- Of course it is hard to forget that this superstar began her epic career after winning Season 4 of American Idol, but it has been fifteen years since that coveted win! In the last 10 years, Carrie Underwood has solidified her place in country music history. Her legacy includes sold-out world tours, six platinum-certified number 1 records, and over a dozen number 1 singles. If that’s not enough, the songstress is a recipient of seven Grammy Awards, and countless other awards, all while being a mother, wife, philanthropist, and entrepreneur. Her newest record Cry Pretty is a masterpiece and the next decade with Underwood is sure to be another crazy, beautiful journey!
2. Thomas Rhett-Presently, Thomas Rhett is a staple in country music, boasting countless songs on the charts and sold-out shows at venues like New York City’s Madison Square Garden; however, ten years ago Rhett was just a kid trying to figure out what he wanted out of life. After landing a publishing deal, the songwriter penned singles for both Jason Aldean and Florida Georgia Line. It wasn’t until 2012 that Rhett began to release his own music. Just a year later, his debut record It Goes Like This, featuring his first number 1 as an artist, the title track, premiered and Rhett has not looked back since!
3. Luke Combs- It is hard to believe that Luke Combs has only been on our radar for just about six years. The singer-songwriter released his first-ever EP back in 2014 with The Way She Rides, following that release with his second EP Can I Get An Outlaw. It wasn’t until two years later, in 2015 that Combs finally released his first single “Hurricane” and debuted his third EP, This One’s For You, which would later become the title of his 2017 major label debut record. Since then Combs has become a member of the Grand Ole Opry, become one of the most decorated country singers with seven straight number one singles and has solidified himself as a bonafide superstar in just a few short years. This just the beginning for Combs’ as he only just released his sophomore record What You See Is What You Get, which is already crushing records, proving that his talent can only grow from here.
4. Garth Brooks- Mr. Garth Brooks is a certified legend in the country music industry. He has been making music since the 90s and is the highest-selling solo artist of all time, but his success has not slowed down over the last ten years. After a brief retirement, Brooks when on to headline his own Las Vegas show residency and play hundreds of shows across the world, including his most recent, ‘Dive Bar Tour,’ named after his lead single off his upcoming studio album. He just won his 7th Entertainer of the Year award at the 2019 CMA Awards and we are sure that Brooks will continue to be one of the most successful and well-respected country artists for decades to come.
5. Miranda Lambert- As a solo artist, Miranda Lambert’s career has been quite the rollercoaster over the past ten years, but she continues to stay true to who she is and fans come out in droves to see her perform. Since 2009, the songstress has released five studio albums, including her most recent, Wildcard. The singer-songwriter has won numerous awards, including two Grammys, and continues to sell-out shows across the country. Most recently Lambert performed at the CMA Awards and also won an ACM for Milestone Achievement Award.
6. Luke Bryan- It is crazy to think about how the peak of Luke Bryan’s success has come in the last ten years. A decade ago, Bryan was a rising artist on the brink of greatness. In 2010, he won multiple awards as a new artist, as well as, hit the top spot on the charts with his singles “Rain Is a Good Thing” and “Someone Else Calling You Baby.” Since then, Bryan has had over 20 number one hits and has ventured out to perform shows across the nation. He also serves as one of the judges on American Idol and continues to garner fans with his charm, charisma, and talent.
7. Keith Urban- New Zealand-Australian singer-songwriter, Keith Urban is one of the mainstays in country music over the past decade. His music resonates so well with fans from many different countries and cultures. By the time 2009 rolled around, Urban already had six studio albums under his belt. Since then, he has slowed down a bit with releasing music, but his popularity has only risen. Like Bryan, Urban has also served as a judge on the popular television show American Idol and continues to make waves on the charts and at award shows. He is a two-time Entertainer of the Year and we’d be surprised if he doesn’t nab another coveted award in his future!
8. Dierks Bentley- Dierks Bentley has been warming our hearts for almost two decades, but in 2009, Bentley released his fourth studio album Feel That Fire, which went on to produce four top two hits. So far, Bentley’s ninth studio record The Mountain had achieved similar success, with the first two singles “Burning Man” and “Woman, Amen,” reaching the top spot on the charts. The newest record marks the singer-songwriter’s seventh number one record, as well as, another successful tour to his name. Bentley’s music continues to transcend time and it will be interesting to see where this next decade will take him.
9. Blake Shelton- Over the course of a decade, Blake Shelton has made himself a household name. His personality and his talent have taken him to new heights. The Grand Ole Opry member has released six albums in the last ten years, with one on the way. He has solidified himself as one of the most entertaining artists with his stint as a judge on NBC’s The Voice, as well as, with his invigorating tours and live performances. One of Shelton’s most recent singles “God’s Country” is already a certified hit and his newest single “Hell Right” is still climbing the charts. The singer’s infectious personality is sure to keep him playing on our airwaves for years to come.
10. Lady Antebellum- Although trio Lady Antebellum have been grinding in the industry for several years prior, the last ten years have marked some of the most successful times in their career. Their fourth single “Need You Now” from their second studio album catapulted them to fame, becoming their second number one and a number 2 hit on the all-genre charts, solidifying it as a crossover success. Lady A’s career came to a halt in 2015, when they decided to take a break from making music together. Just two years later the group was back together under a new label and ready to make music again. They currently have a residency in Las Vegas and recently released their newest record Ocean, which is chock full of nostalgia and talent. The record is truly their coming home to country music, and we know 2020 will be an exciting year for the performers.
The Hero Collection by NYCountry Swag is inspired by the men and women of the Fire, Police and Military Departments across the country. A portion of sales from each purchase is donated to different foundations that support our heroes. We are dedicated to honoring their service and remembering their sacrifice.
Thank You for supporting Country Music in NYC & Beyond!
Subscribe to our Weekly Round-Up here
for ticket giveaways, meet & greet contests, upcoming events,
and all things country music in the New York metro area and beyond!