Opening with a stirring and solo piano melody, Lady Antebellum’s “Ocean” immediately sweeps listeners away. Much like the tide, the song ebbs and flows musically, cresting over the piano and the group’s unmatched harmonies. Featuring Hillary Scott on lead vocals and Dave Haywood on piano, the song is a lush and harmonic, showing the trio shining in its simplicity.
“It’s such a cinematic and theatrical melody with a message that became the cornerstone of this record for us,” Scott said in a press release. “Ocean is all of the things that we think and feel when we hear the word. This album is immersed in life stories about barely keeping your head above water all the way to those times that make you feel like everything is smooth sailing.”
The song, written by Tofer Brown, Sarah Buxton, and Abe Stoklasa, would not have sounded out of place on Scott’s solo project, Love Remains. “Here you are / Next to me / So much beauty at my feet,” She sings. “All I want to do is swim / But the waves keep crashing in / No I’m not afraid to drown / Take me out, take me down / I’m so tired of the shore / Let me in / Baby you’re an ocean / Beautiful and blue / I want to swim in you.”
Today, Scott, Haywood, and Charles Kelley announced their forthcoming album, also titled Ocean, due out November 15. The album marks the band’s first full-length release with Big Machine Label Group. It also marks their first collaboration with famed Nashville producer Dann Huff. “There’s this theme of returning to the core of who we are — as writers, vocalists, and people — that came out in each of these songs,” Haywood said in a statement. “Our time in the studio with Dann had an excitement that felt like we were making our first album all over again.”
Ocean features a bevy of Nashville’s hottest songwriters, including Ryan Hurd, Sarah Buxton, Dave Barnes, Corey Crowder and more. The record will also feature a collaboration with Little Big Town, written by Daniel Tashian, Tenille Townes, and Kate York. Skip straight to track eleven for that highly-anticipated track, “The Thing That Wrecks You.”
Lady Antebellum, Ocean Track List:
1. “What If I Never Get Over You” (Sam Ellis, Jon Green, Ryan Hurd, Laura Veltz)
2. “Pictures” (Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, Hillary Scott, Sarah Buxton, Corey Crowder)
3. “Crazy Love” (Charles Kelley, Nathan Chapman)
4. “You Can Do You” (Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, Corey Crowder, Jordan Schmidt)
5. “What I’m Leaving For” (Sam Ellis, Micah Premnath, Laura Veltz)
6. “Be Patient With My Love” (Charles Kelley, Dave Barnes, Ben West)
7. “Alright” (Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, Hillary Scott, Busbee, Justin Ebach)
8. “Let It Be Love” (Hillary Scott, Jordan Reynolds, Amy Wadge)
9. “On a Night Like This” (Dave Barnes)
10. “Boots” (Charles Kelley, Ross Copperman)
11. “The Thing That Wrecks You” feat. Little Big Town (Daniel Tashian, Tenille Townes, Kate York)
12. “Mansion” (Chris DeStefano, Hillary Lindsey, Josh Miller)
13. “Ocean” (Tofer Brown, Sarah Buxton, Abe Stoklasa)
“Ocean” is now available everywhere you buy or stream music. Take a listen below and check out more new recently released music here on our ‘New Country Music’ playlist. Be sure to give the playlist a follow for your weekly new country music fix.
The Hero Collection by NYCountry Swag is inspired by the men and women of the Fire, Police and Military Departments across the country. A portion of sales from each purchase is donated to different foundations that support our heroes. We are dedicated to honoring their service and remembering their sacrifice.
Thank You for supporting Country Music in NYC & Beyond!
Subscribe to our Weekly Round-Up here
for ticket giveaways, meet & greet contests, upcoming events,
and all things country music in the New York metro area and beyond!