George Strait Is Back With “God and Country Music”
For everyone who has been waiting for the arrival of new George Strait music, the wait is now over! On Thursday night (Jan. 29th) George Strait posted a photo of the cover art for his newest single “God and Country Music” and it is now available to listen. That sweet voice you hear towards the end of the song is Strait’s 6-year-old grandson, Harvey Strait. We all know the legend is a family man and this takes it to a whole new level. Penned by Luke Laird, Barry Dean and Lori McKenna, the song is a quickly going to become another Strait classic. The new song references past country icons and reflects on the belief that country music is one of only two things “still worth savin’.”
“There’s always lost in the found / Darkness in the ‘I Saw the Light’ / It’s still livin’ in those small towns / In some church or backroad honky-tonk tonight / It’s a dance between the sin and the salvation / Come hell or high water, there’s two things still worth savin’ / God and country music,” Strait sings.
With this new song, Strait shows that he is not leaving the classic sounds of country music. “God and Country Music” features all of the trademarks his past songs have, including the sweet sounds of an acoustic guitar. Strait first debuted “God and Country Music” live during a show in Las Vegas in December as part of his ‘Strait to Vegas’ residency along with two other new songs, “Every Little Honky Tonk Bar” and “Codigo.”
Strait has announced the upcoming release of a new studio album titled Honky Tonk Time Machine, which is slated for release on March 29th and you can find the track listing below.
- “Every Little Honky Tonk Bar” (George Strait, Bubba Strait, and Dean Dillon)
- “Two More Wishes” (Jim Lauderdale and Odie Blackmon)
- “Some Nights” (Bubba Strait, Brice Long and Phillip White)
- “God and Country Music” (with Harvey Strait) (Luke Laird, Barry Dean and Lori McKenna)
- “Blue Water” (George Strait, Bubba Strait, and Dean Dillon)
- “Sometimes Love” (George Strait, Bubba Strait, and Dean Dillon)
- “Código” (George Strait, Bubba Strait, and Dean Dillon)
- “Old Violin” (Johnny Paycheck)
- “Take Me Away” (George Strait, Bubba Strait, and Dean Dillon)
- “The Weight of the Badge” (George Strait, Bubba Strait, and Dean Dillon)
- “Honky Tonk Time Machine” (Bubba Strait, Brice Long and Bart Butler)
- “What Goes Up” (George Strait, Bubba Strait, and Jeff Hyde)
- “Sing One with Willie” (featuring Willie Nelson) (George Strait, Willie Nelson, Bubba Strait, and Buddy Cannon)
Thank You for supporting Country Music in NYC!
Subscribe to our Weekly Round-Up here
for ticket giveaways, meet & greet contests, upcoming events,
and all things country music in the New York metro area and beyond!
+ Follow our country music adventures on Instagram, Twitter & Facebook: